The passive house is the ultimate low energy building and is recognized worldwide as the most progressive in terms of energy performance. The passive house offers one of the most economical solutions for comfortable indoor living and working environments, providing occupiers with all year round warmth without the use of active heating or cooling systems.
The passive house standard, developed by the Passivehaus Institut in Germany is a specific construction standard for buildings. The passive standard includes superb insulation levels with minimal thermal bridging, very low air-leakage throughout the building, utilization of passive solar gain, mechanical ventilation with efficient heat recovery. The principal focus in building to the Passivhaus Standard is aimed towards creating a thermally competent envelope which makes use of free heat gains in order to minimize your space heating requirement.
The energy requirement of a house built to Passivhaus Standard is:
- Annual space heating requirement of less than 15kWh/(m2a)
- Total primary energy demand for space and water heating, ventilation, household appliances and lighting not to exceed 120 kWh/(m2a)
- Air leakage not to exceed 0.6 air changes per hour
- A passive house is cost-effective when combined with capitalized costs (construction, including design and installed equipment, plus operating costs for 30 years) do not exceed those of an average new home.
The Thermohouse Solution
The Thermohouse low energy building system is an all in one flexible system of construction which enables the occupier to not only benefit from the low energy requirement but also to enjoy the superior indoor air quality and living environment.
The Thermohouse low energy building system enables the rapid construction of an airtight, thermally efficient envelope with no cold bridging in a cost competitive manner.
1. The Thermohouse external insulating concrete formwork (ICF) wall system provides a strong, durable, airtight ICF wall with excellent insulation properties. There width of our external ICF wall block is 450mm with a U value of 0.10.
2. The Thermohouse roof panel is a highly insulated panel with unique structural strength. Easy to install this roof panel will make a house weatherproof in a short time. The u-value of the roof is 0.15.
3. The Thermohouse underfloor heating board operates more efficiently when used with the thermohouse system. This board has a u-value of 0.45 to 0.12.
The thermohouse thermal envelope is compared to the Passivhaus Standard in the following chart:
|Insulation System||Passivhaus Standard||Thermohouse|
|Insulating Concrete Formwork (ICF) Walls||U = 0.15||U = 0.11|
|Roof||U = 0.15||U = 0.15|
|Underfloor Board||U = 0.15||U = 0.12|
|Thermal Bridges||w= 0.01 W/(m2K)||w= 0.01 W/(m2K)|
Though not part of the Thermohouse thermal envelope the Thermohouse system also includes the Thermohouse floor panel and Thermohouse internal insulating concrete formwork (ICF) wall system. These facilitate the completion of the project in a fast efficient manner, with the added acoustic benefits.
People are becoming increasingly aware of the advantages of building a passive house. Now these houses can be built at competitive prices using the Thermohouse system and are fully certified for a minimum life span of 60 years.